Short-term Language Course (English)
COIL and Study Abroad
The COIL and Study Abroad Program of The University of Shizuoka: The English Language Course of the University of California, Davis (UCD)
* Due to the spread of the coronavirus, we have canceled the international program scheduled for the 2020 academic year.
1.Main Features of the Program
- UCD is a highly ranked research university in global higher education rankings—Times Higher Education, QS, and the Shanghai Ranking—in various fields, including agriculture and life sciences. Students can concentrate on learning English in the academic environment of the university as well as in the cultural atmosphere of the city of Davis.
- Two four-week English language programs are held, one in summer (August–September) and one in spring (February–March).
- Small-sized classes with 14 to 18 students per class. Students will be divided into seven classes according to their English language skill level based on the results of the placement test they will take on the first day.
- The “Communication and Culture Program (CCP)” focuses on American culture and conversational skills. It is a 16-hour/week full-time program with experienced teachers.
- We conduct an orientation session before students go abroad by linking our university, Sophia University, and Ochanomizu University with UCD online. We also conduct a review session in the same way after students return from UCD.
- We issue a certificate of completion to students who have successfully completed the program.
- Students can also take various optional trips on weekends (e.g., Napa Valley, Yosemite National Park, and San Francisco).
- Class Hours: 64 hours (4 hours x 4 days x 4 weeks)
- Class Schedule: Monday to Thursday The four main subjects are U.S. Society and Culture; Intercultural Research Project;Listening and Pronunciation; and Everyday Expressions and Idioms Students can also enroll in special classes (classes specializing in academic fields and business).
- We conduct a one-hour orientation session before students go abroad by connecting our university, Sophia University, and Ochanomizu University with UCD online. We also conduct a one-hour follow-up session in the same way after students return from UCD.
- Regarding accommodations, a homestay program is available in Davis. UCD suggests that students arrange through a homestay agency that they recommend. Each student will stay in a private room equipped with a desk, a chair, a bed, towels, a Wi-Fi connection, etc. Meals are provided two to three times a day.
The Short-Term Language Course (English)